Thursday, August 10, 2006

Corn!

WOW, it's been a week since I've posted! It's been a very busy week and I only have a few minutes now but I wanted to share a few thoughts with you.

Corn! FRESH corn on the cob...just minutes from being picked. There's nothing better than that!



Allison LOVES it! We all do! My Dad grows it perfectly! This was the first corn of the season for us. Dad calls it young corn because it's not quite mature enough but we can't wait any longer so he picks it for us. It is oh so yummy! I remember as a child Dad would pick a trailer full of corn and then pull it up to the backyard with the farm tractor and park it for us to shuck...for hours! There was a process. First we would shuck it, brush all the silk off of it and then Mom would start her job. She would take it into the kitchen and cut all the kernals off of it. She would then can it. I remember those big black pots with white speckles on the stove simmering for hours. The house would get so hot and we would stay out of the kitchen because we just couldn't take the heat! This is now a fond memory for me. Allison will probably never have that big of a memory because we are not farmers like my Dad and my Mom doesn't can anymore since Dad doesn't do the big cornfields anymore. He just grows enough for all of us to take home through the rest of the summer and for some friends. This will be Allison's memory. She will remember shucking the corn with Daddy for the night's dinner. Not the huge memory that I have but still a good memory none the less.

"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Have Fun!

Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails