Thursday, August 31, 2006

This Lamp is Not Just a Lamp!

I purchased a new lampshade for my lamp. What do you think? The lampshade on it was ivory but I've added Burgundy to my living room and the lamp just needed a face lift. It looks more red in the picture but it really is Burgundy.

Why is the lamp not just a lamp, you ask? Let me explain. It was probably about 7-8 years ago and I was living in Boardman, Ohio across from one of my best friends, Nancy. Nancy, myself and another friend of ours, Carolyn, were sitting around her living room bored. She asked if both of us could waste $20 and Carolyn and I both said sure and was wondering what she had in mind. Well, she challenged us to a competition. We had an hour to find something to spend our $20 on. It was supposed to be something that wasn't a necessity and something that we normally wouldn't buy for ourselves. And then we were to meet for dinner at Cafe Capri Italian Restaurant with our find. I went to the mall and looked in all of the stores to get ideas before settling on my final purchase. I ended up buying this lamp at Kirkland's (LOVE that place!) Nancy made a craft decorative thing (in her car!) for all of us. It was a round glass bowl thing with glass marbles and a flower in it. I can't remember what Carolyn bought. It was a fun, silly thing to do for a dull evening. I had fun because I probably wouldn't have bought the lamp but because it was the right price and I had to get something, I got it. It is now one of my favorite things in my living room.....and the friendship memories that go along with it are far more valuable than the $20 that I spent for it!

Have Fun!

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails