Sunday, June 03, 2007

An Earned Reward!

If you read my blog, you probably already know that Allison earned a kitten. If you don't read my blog and you are a newbie, Welcome! All newbies can go here to read how Allison earned a kitten if you are interested. It's at the end of that blog entry.

Well, yesterday was the day! The day Allison received her reward. My friend and her husband live on his grandparents farm and their 3 cats all had kittens the same week! Allison had 10 kittens to choose from! On our way out to the farm, we asked her how she was going to pick one. She said that she was going to let it pick her. She would give them all a chance and which ever one that liked her the most was the one she was going to pick. They were all adorable except these 3 dark fluffy ones. I liked the orange and white one. Curtis liked the cinnamon looking one. They were both acceptable in my book. She begged and begged for one of those dark fluffy female kittens that had attached itself to her. We had already agreed before going that we were getting a male and a short haired one. So Curtis and I were trying to get her interested in the two that we liked. We were holding them and told her to pick one of them. She pointed to the one I had and then asked if she could play with her favorite one before we left. I told her that she had 5 minutes to play but then I couldn't take it anymore. A memory flashed before me. It was from when I was about her age. My parents were letting me have a collie dog. I picked the one that was the runt of the puppies. The one that wasn't playing with any of the others. The one that was trying to get out of the box towards me. I remember my Mom suggesting that I pick one of the ones that were playing but I wanted this one. In the end, they let me have the "misfit" and Lassie ended up being the best dog ever! She was my best friend while I was growing up. And so in that moment, I knew I couldn't break her heart. I asked her if she could have any kitty there which would she pick. She said she would pick the fluffy dark female one. I said okay and that she could have it. I didn't have a choice. I had to let her have it. The look on her face was priceless! At that moment, she was the happiest kid in the world. I cried. My friend's husband teared up too. Her joy was so touching. As you can see in the picture, she is beaming. She said that she's going to make the best house cat and that she is going to be the best Mommy to it. It was an hour long negotiation on her part but in the end, she was right. That kitten picked her so we had to take her home. It is not the kitten that I would have chosen. It's the one Allison did and it's all about her, isn't it?

This next picture was taken this morning. Don't they just look good together. I have to admit, "Princess" is growing on me. She has this sweet look about her and isn't as ugly as I thought she was at first. Maybe it's because the other prettier ones are not around her or maybe it's because I see how happy she has made my little girl. Who knows but I am glad I gave in!

Have Fun!

What greater gift than the love of a cat?
~Charles Dickens

Pin It

1 comment:

Jolene George said...

She is a beautiful kitten. I was so touched by your story of letting the one that picked Alison get to be the one that came home. She really is beaming. You're a great mom!
My sister had the same thing when she took 2 of my kittens. She didn't like the one Kaden wanted, but she did what was right and let him choose. His has turned out to be the sweetest little kitty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails