Saturday, November 22, 2008

"Home" Is Where Your Heart Is!

Jen over at "Santuary Arts at Home" posted a "I made it with scrapbook paper party!" on her blog. It got me thinking that although I haven't scrapbooked in FOREVER, when I did, I enjoyed the creativity of it. It was relaxing to me so I think I need to get back to it...soon!
So here is my contribution to Jen's party.
I made these "HOME" letters a few years ago for my Mom's country kitchen. They were relatively easy and when I gave them to her, she loved them and asked where I bought them!
(Remember, you can click on the pictures for a closer look.)

I started with Darice wood letters that I picked up at our local craft store and painted them with acrylic paint. I then roughly cut out scrapbook paper slightly larger than the top part of the letters and glued the paper on with plain old decoupage glue. I did not decoupage over the top of the paper because I wanted the look of paper not a glossy or shiny finish. After the glue was dry, I used a fine grit sandpaper to sand the excess paper off of the letter to give it a weathered look.


I finished them off with a little embellishment on each letter. I just picked what reminded me of home. Gingham always reminds me of the country, the bluebird reminds me of my Mom's bird feeders and love of birds, the daisy reminds me of the wild daisies growing in my Dad's field where he keeps the cows that we used to pick as kids and the brass barn charm was an easy pick because it reminds me of my Dad's barn. I don't know if you can make it out but there is part of a rooster on the "O" which is why I picked this paper. My Mom loves roosters.


I picked the word "home" because it has special meaning in my family. When my Ba Ba (grandmother) would return home to her house, she would walk in the door and sigh "Home" because it was the place she enjoyed most. So in our family, home is really where your heart is.
I challenge you to find your inner creativity and make some letters for your "home."
Think of the words...Love (for Valentine's Day), Family, Friends, your child's name for their room, Joy, Noel, Peace (for Christmas), Boo (for Halloween), Thanks (for Thanksgiving), Dream (for a child's room), Snow (for Winter).
If words are more than you think you can handle, how about your family initial? It's one of the big things in decorating these days to display your family initial.
The possibilities are endless!
If you find your inner creativity, be sure to email me and show me what you've done.
I would love to see it!
In the meantime, head on over to Jen's blog to see what else you can do with scrapbook paper!
Have Fun!
Pin It

1 comment:

Free Art Printables said...

I love these letters! Thanks so much for joining in on the party!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails